Google+ Followers

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Vintage Window Coffee Table

A while back some good friends of my wife and I asked if I would be willing to build them a coffee table for their home.  They had seen one they liked that looked like the following.  I was happy to do this for them.


  They had two items that they were hoping I could do.  They wanted it to be black and have legs that were sturdy and a bit thicker than what is on this table.

I began my search for the perfect window.  About six antique stores later I found this beauty at a great price.  


First I needed to get the window all cleaned and prepped for paint.  

I had to remove all panes, scrape (using a mask of course), and then glue a few spots.


The next part would be to make the box, bottom of the box, and the base.  I had some wood laying around that would work for these pieces.  Some old 2x4's, 4x4's, and old tongue and groove wall paneling of different widths.




The box build was simple; 45 angles glued, nailed, and then 1/4" dowels to add strength.  I made the box 1/4" narrower on each side so the window would stick past that distance all around.


For the bottom of the box I used old paneling with tongue and groove.  



The base was built out of the 2x's and 4x's notched then glued and screwed together.  




With the box and base built and the window cleaned up it was ready to paint and stain.


For the paint I used Valspar's paint and primer, black flat, and then finished it off with about six coats of Deft Clear Wood Finish.  The Deft is a really nice product that leaves a very nice finish and it is fast to dry which helps in getting multiple coats on fast.





I was now ready to dry fit the pieces together.



Sometimes projects don't turn out like I expect them to, this was one of those times.  I didn't like the base at all.  It was too small and just didn't have the look I was going for.  

Back to square one with the base.

Instead of using reclaimed wood on the base I bought some aspen wood.

Once again it was a simple construction; glued, nailed, and a few screws.





This time I made it the same dimensions as the box and added a slat shelf for putting books or blankets on.  



I finished painting and adding the clear finish to everything.



In order to make this table safe for the home I removed all the glass panes and replaced them with tempered glass.


To replace window panes is pretty simple but does take some practice to make it look good.  Mine could use some more practice I think.

First put all the panes in the window.  Next insert glazing points on each pane.  For my size panes I put two on each side. 




After the points are put in next is the glazing.  This is the part that takes a little practice.

I used DAP 33 glazing.


To glaze a window first take a chunk of the glaze and roll it in your hands to warm it up and then start to make a long worm out of it.  

Lay that all around the edges of the window pressing it down then using a blade at an angle cut off the excess.  

If done right this should leave a nice angled glazing.




Next I inserted adjustable feet into the legs so it could be leveled if the floor was a bit uneven.  

It is real easy to do this.

Drill the holes to the correct dimensions.


Next remove the screw thread from the plastic then lightly tap the plastic in to the leg.




All done with the feet.


And now all done with the table.









Here it is in the home being filled with special items from trips our friends have made.