Google+ Followers

Monday, January 28, 2013

Simple Farmhouse Bed

So my wife and I decided to redo our room a while back and part of the redo included a new bed.  Bought beds are far to expensive, for good quality, and so I decided to make one.  I had seen several different types of designs and had an idea of what I wanted.

Recently I had picked up some old wood from an individual on Craigslist and found several pieces that I thought would work (below picture), fir, cedar, and pine.

Each piece had to be planed and sanded as they were in pretty rough shape.  

The design was really pretty simple:
The 4x6's were used as the posts.  Onto each post I then attached a 2x2 to which the 1x's were attached for the back and main part of the headboard and footboard.  After the horizontal boards were attached to the 2x's I trimmed out around the edges with 1x2's and then finished off the top of head and footboard with a 1x6.






There was quite a bit of finish sanding to do and then I finished it with several clear coats of satin poly with sanding in between each coat.  


The bed rails were simply made with 2x6's that were lap jointed and then connected with lags.  Overall it ended up looking pretty good and is nice and solid.  

Finished product:






Sunday, January 27, 2013

Well Table

One of my most recent projects was what I like to call the Well Table.  We have a sunroom that we enjoy sitting in and recently added some windows seats.  We thought it would be nice to have a small table in there to sit and play games on or do crafts with the kids. 


One of my brothers had given me a butcher block counter from a home remodel he had done and it had been sitting in the garage for a while.  It was the perfect size but I didn't have a base and it needed some work to make it look good again.  


I went to a local antique dealer, who has many items that I would love to get, and searched his many many buildings for the perfect base.  I new I wanted something metal.  Finally at the back of one of the larger buildings I saw this metal base with a round wooden cyliner on it.  I had no idea what a great find it was.  It was the handle from an old well, similar to the one in the picture. 



I stripped, sanded, and refinished the butcher block and then cleaned the base and sealed with a spray on poly to give it a clean look.  I attached the block to the base and now it is ready to go.  I did have it so it turned but decided it would be best to have it remain solid.